This Autumn Shepard’s pie is the perfect weeknight dinner that is so hearty you won’t even know that it’s completely meatless!
Yep, you read that right—no meat! You guys have seen me use Pure Farmland plant based protein staters in a few dishes now, and it’s becoming a staple around here.
You literally just throw it in a pan, season it up, brown it and you have one delicious meatless protein base for any dish!
The flavor is mild and easily takes on the profile of your seasoning of choice—but do you know what sold me? The texture! So many plant based proteins can be mushy, but not Pure Farmland their texture is so meat like you won’t even miss your traditional beef—I promise!
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out!
- 1 pound pure farmland protein starter
- Half of a large white onion diced
- 2 cups finely diced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ bag of frozen vegetable medley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a medium pan or skillet sauté the mushrooms over medium heat, until all water cooks out. Stir in butter. Once melted stir in flour, then half and half. Lower heat and allow to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown protein starter in a large greased skillet with onions on medium heat. Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, cumin , salt and pepper. About 10-12 minutes.
- Combine protein starter and cream of mushroom in a bowl.
- In a pie, or casserole dish layer the bottom with protein starter and mushrooms. Top with vegetable medley. Mix pumpkin pie spice with the mashed sweet potatoes and spread evenly. Top with cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pop it in the oven for 15 mins to marry flavors and melt cheese.
- Let cool and serve. Enjoy!