Mother’s Day is around the corner so I hope all of you guys are getting your menu’s ready! If you follow along on Instagram then you watched me make this delicious dish live on stories today.
This weekends dishes are all about the wifey for Mother’s Day, and she is a big Italian food fan! I figured eggplant parm was the perfect dish to try my hand at. I’ll be honest, I have always had a so-so relationship with eggplant so I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it. Well, this recipe straight up knocked my socks off!
I salted the eggplant slices to remove some of the moisture, and I would absolutely recommend doing this! This additional step allowed the eggplant to develop the perfect crispy texture that made this dish feel complete.
You can serve your eggplant on its own, or with marinara sauce, but my personal favorite of with a heaping spoonful of Momma’s Spaghetti Sauce!
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out.
- 2 eggplants (sliced ½” thick)
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Momma's Spaghetti Sauce (linked in post)
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Salt each side of eggplant slices and place in a large strainer for 30-45 mins, to allow salt to suck out remaining moisture. Wipe off excess salt.
- In a large bowl combine breadcrumbs, and seasonings. Whip eggs together in a separate bowl. One at a time place eggplant slices in the egg wash then in to the breadcrumbs. Do this twice for an even better crunch.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat ½” of oil in a skillet just to the point of smoking and fry both sides of the eggplant slices. 1 minute a side.
- Add a layer of marinara sauce to the bottom of a large baking dish and lay fried eggplant over evenly. Coat the tops with some more marinara sauce and add one more layer eggplant. Top with some more marinara sauce and add one slice of mozzarella to each stack.
- Place in oven for 20 mins. For a bubbly, brown cheese turn oven on low broil for the last minute.
- Top with chopped basil and Parmesan. Serve and enjoy!