As I lie in bed and eat the remaining salted caramel bars, I share a word of caution with you… only make these if you are prepared to eat the entire freaking batch!
This dessert is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, ooey and gooey! To start, you create a simple shortbread cookie base, follow with the same caramel from Leprechaun Crunch, and top with some reserved shortbread cookie dough and bake!
As always, I did a step by step on EYHO Instagram stories if you want to check it out! I have to say, the quick homemade caramel is a game changer in this recipe– way better than the caramel chews. These will be a frequent dessert around here, that’s for sure!
Enjoy and sweet your Hartt out.
- 1½ cups butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Add 1 cup of butter, and 1 cup of brown sugar to stand mixer and mix on low speed.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, sour cream and vanilla extract. When mixed we'll begin to add in flour ½ cup at a time until dough like texture is achieved.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and begin to pack in approximately ¾ of the dough creating an even base. This layer should be about ½ inch thick. Place in the oven at 325 for 15 minutes to prebake the crust.
- Add a small handful of flour to remaining dough and mix to remove some moisture. Place in the refrigerator.
- Add final stick of butter and cup of brown sugar to a small sauce pot on low heat. Bring to a low simmer, stir and remove from heat.
- Remove shortbread crust from the oven and top with hot caramel. Remove reserved dough from the refrigerator and break up into crumbles. Top hot caramel with sea salt and shortbread dough crumbles and place back in the oven at 325 for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with vanilla ice cream and serve!