We’ve been on a little bit of a recipe hiatus around here due to our little Jo-man turning one! Left overs and crazy easy dinners have been in large supply around here, and this is one of the easiest!
Have you ever heard of a hot dish? This is a Minnesotan way of saying casserole! Much like any casserole it is served in a single dish, and my favorite is my cast iron. The only problem with casseroles is they can often be HEAVY! And over here in southern CA we are into spring weather and heavy food and casseroles aren’t on our menu much–summer body, ya know?
One of the first ways I lightened up this hot dish, is to replace the traditional “tot” with cauliflower tots! Have you ever seen these at Costco? They are by green giant and I have to say, they’re delicious! My kids will eat them as a side dish dipped in ketchup, and I can’t help but steal a few. Think Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, with a crispy outer layer–are you with me?
The base of this dish couldn’t be easier! You can use your favorite leftover chili recipe, like my Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili or My Blue Ribbon Chili, or even just use a good ol’ can of Chili from the store! The choice is yours! This recipe was hearty without being heavy, and easy as pie.
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out!
- 2 cans chili, or 2 cups leftover chili
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ bag Green Giant Cauliflower Tater Tots
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onion
- Add chili, fire roasted tomatoes, and seasoning to cast iron skillet on medium heat. Mix well and bring to a slow simmer and remove from heat.
- Top with cauliflower tots, followed by cheese. Place in the oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes until tots are golden brown.
- Serve hot topped with green onion, enjoy!