Are you guys ready for my second official vegetarian recipe?! My first was a Vegetarian Buddha Bowl and it was a HUGE hit, so I thought it was about time for round two!
As many of you know, I am a pretty hardcore carnivore. I love meat in every way possible and cook with it almost daily! However, I do like to take a meal off of meat a few times weekly for both health and environmental reasons. With that being said, I still love a hearty meal! Meatless doesn’t mean that is lacks protein, hearty-ness or flavor! In fact, it means the exact opposite.
Going meatless for some meals has challenged me to expand my flavor pallet and discover how to build flavor using ingredients other than meat and animal fat. Vegetables, lentils, beans–all of these things carry a ton of flavor, and when paired with the right seasonings you can really make those flavors pop.
In this recipe I used onions and sweet potatoes as the base, and when followed with fire roasted tomatoes, beans and some great seasoning– one killer dish was built. Kicker? It’s all in the slow cooker! Set it and forget it.
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out!
- 1 large Sweet Potato, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 jar salsa verde
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ cup water
- ½ Tablespoon cumin
- ½ Tablespoon ancho chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon granulated garlic
- ½ Tablespoon granulated onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle the bottom of your slow cooker with olive oil and add diced onion.
- Follow with all remaining ingredients and mix gently until incorporated.
- Cover crockpot and place on low for 6 hours.
- Serve hot with sour cream, green onion or any other favorite chili toppings!