It’s FINALLY FRIDAY and this has been the longest week ever!! Both kids have been sick and now the wife and I have it–isn’t that how it always goes??
Jaxon is finally back to school after 3+ days of battling a fever on and off, uhhgg. And Joey is kicking the cough and turning back into his chipper self, hallelujah! Now that the germs have passed on to the grown ups it’s time for some soup—and if I’m speaking honestly, ramen is basically the cure to all of my current ailments.
Ramen is one of those very versatile dishes–you have your broth and noodles as the base, and you can kind of add whatever you want to make it your own!
Add meat, to meatless, it’s up to you! In this recipe, I added chicken and a ton of veggies so it felt hearty and healthy–and I even added citrus for an added vitamin C and flavor punch. It was amazing!
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 baby bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, halved
- ⅓ cup pickled onions
- 1 package ramen noodles
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic (divided)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 cups stock (beef or chicken)
- 1 cup soy sauce (divided)
- 1½ tablespoon fish sauce (divided)
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- Juice of 1 mandarin
- 2 cups water
- Rinse chicken under cook water and pat dry. Slice chicken thin (no bigger then ¼ inch). Place into bowl to marinate. Add chili powder, ground nutmeg, salt, 1 teaspoon garlic, ¼ cup soy sauce, and ½ tablespoon fish sauce. Stir and let sit 10-15 mins.
- In a large sauce pot stir together remaining fish sauce, ½ cup soy sauce, stock, sugar, red wine vinegar, lime juice, mandarin juice, and sesame oil. Bring to low rolling boil.
- Season green beans with teaming soy sauce and granulated garlic. Cook in a lightly oiled wok or large pan over med high heat for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender but still have a good snap. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Season mushrooms with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook in same lightly oiled pan on med high heat for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden brown and tender. Remove and set aside.
- Cook peppers for 4-5 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Cook chicken on med high for 7-8 minutes until it has reached desired doneness. Remove and set aside.
- Add ramen to pan and pour 2 cups of water over. Bring to a boil while tossing the noodles. Strain and place in serving bowl.
- Pour broth over noodles
- Add toppings to noodles and finish with a little bit of chopped green onions and cilantro. Enjoy!!