Well guys, we have reached the final meal in week 1 of my new EYHO on a budget series! I have to say, each one of these recipes has been delicious, healthy, and responsibly priced.
I think today’s recipe may actually be my favorite– and let me say, it tasted just as good as it looks!
This is a great recipe to serve as an appetizer or main course. It’s bright, colorful, full of flavor and you will be doing all you can not to eat all of the mango salsa before you serve it onto of your tacos!
Here is our price breakdown:
Sprouts Easy-Peel Raw Shrimp: 5.99
Tomatoes: 88 cents
Mangos: 1.76 (delicious and in season)
Red onion: 1.29
Butter lettuce: 2.50
Lemons: 50 cents
The ingredients for the salsa alone were under 5 dollars, and you could easily serve with chips and salsa, chicken and so much more!
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 mangos
- ½ red onion
- 2 tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Optional: ½ lime and ¼ cup sour cream
- Add shrimp to a large mixing bowl and add seasoning. Before mixing, juice the first half of the lemon. Mix all ingredients until all shrimp are evenly coated and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large non stick skillet on high heat. When skillet is hot add seasoned shrimp to the pan.
- Cook shrimp for approx 1.5 minutes in each side until they become pink and slightly firm. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Begin dicing mangos, red onion and tomatoes into similar sized pieces.
- When all ingredients have been diced, add to medium mixing bowl and juice the second half of the lemon over the top. Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the stem of the butter lettuce and serve by placing 3 shrimp and a scoop of mango salsa inside each piece of butter lettuce.
- Optional, in a small ramekin add sour cream, a pinch of cumin and the juice of ½ lime. Whisk together and top tacos for added creamy texture.