EYHO on a budget meal number two, and it’s the most cost effective one yet, would you believe me if I told you that the total cost of this meal was 5.96?!
These easy peasy one pan chicken fajitas are full of flavor and healthy as can be. Served over Trader Joe’s pre-cooked brown rice, makes for the perfect meal! If making your own rice if something you’re into, feel free. But this Trader Joe’s hack is not undersold. This rice is perfectly cooked and just take a couple short minutes in the microwave, no mess, no dishes, no fuss–just brown rice. I’m about it!
Here is the budget breakdown for this meal:
Sprouts all-natural Chicken Tenders: $2.50
Peppers: 88 cents per pound
Onion: 88 cents per pound
Avocado: 88 cents per pound
Trader Joe’s brown rice: 2.50 per box.
A few things to keep in mind about this price breakdown, first, I bought my chicken from Sprouts for 1.99 per pound in a 3 pound package. At the beginning of the week I will separate the chicken out into two separate recipes to make sure Im getting the most bang for my buck.
This is a great strategy when shopping in bulk, I do it shopping for meat at Costco, Stater Brothers and more. When the meat is on sale, I buy more, separate into portions that will feed about 4 people, and freeze what I won’t use right away. Shout out to my chest freezer in the garage!
Planning ahead is with out a doubt the best way to prepare healthy and cost effective meals from week to week.
Lastly, you guys know by now I’m a fan of the Trader Joe’s brown rice. I left a little buffer in the budget here because, really, the box of brown rice is 2.50 and there are about 6 servings in the box. We did the math here and you’re looking at just shy of 42 cents per serving–so the cost of the rice in this meal is more like 84 cents. Awesome!
I’ve said is before, and I continue to say, delicious meals do not need to be expensive! It just takes a little planning, watching your ads, and knowing what you’re looking for. I hope you enjoy recipe number two in this week’s 5 meals under 50 dollars series!
Enjoy, and eat your Hartt out!
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders, sliced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1-2 bell pepper, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1 bag, Trader Joe’s Brown Rice
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large skillet on medium heat. When skillet is warm, add sliced chicken to brown.
- Cook chicken for approx 4-5 minutes moving around the pan to cook evenly.
- When chicken is firm and beginning to brown on the outside, add in onions, bell pepper, and seasoning. Using a spatula, slowly mix ingredients and seasoning as peppers and onions soften.
- After 3-4 minutes of peppers and onions browning deglaze pan with a dash of bone broth, wine, beer, or even water. Anything on hand will work, just a liquid to lift the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet.
- Cover skillet and turn to low heat. Simmer for 5-7 minutes while warming Trader Joe’s brown rice.
- Serve fajitas over warm brown rice and top with avocado.