I have to say, this may be my fanciest EYHO dinner on a budget yet—am I right?!
This dinner could be served over brown rice for an easy weeknight meal—-keeping with the theme of our budget dinners, here! You could chop this up and make one killer salad to bring for lunch, OR you could knock your significant other’s socks off with an affordable at home date night dinner!
I don’t know about you guys, but the wife and I get a lot of at home date nights in these days. Between lining everything up with a babysitter and actually getting ourselves ready and out the door it’s just way too much work 90% of the time.
With at home date nights it’s the best of both worlds, sweat pants, great food, and free booze! I’m about it!
Here is the price breakdown for this meal:
Sprouts All-Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: 2.50
Mini heirloom tomatoes: 1.99
Mozerella Cheese: 2.20
Trader Joe’s Balsamic Glaze: 2.49 (pantry staple and lasts for months)
This dish is a delicious take on caprese chicken with ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese rolled inside the chicken and topped with tons of flavor!
Enjoy and eat your Hartt out!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4- 1ounce slices of mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup basil
- 8 ounces mini heirloom tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Trader Joe’s Balsamic Glaze
- Filet both chicken breasts by slicing them horizontally, turning 2 large chicken breasts into 4 smaller ones.
- Place first chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap (resealable freezer bags work well, too) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of approx ¼ inch. Season chicken thoroughly with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Repeat this step with all 4 pieces of chicken.
- Lay seasoned chicken on a clean cutting board and place 1 piece of mozzarella cheese and 1 leaf of basil in the middle of each piece of chicken. Roll chicken up around the filling cheese and place on the cutting board seam side down.
- Heat a medium skillet on high, when pan is hot add olive oil and evenly place chicken roll ups around the pan, again, seam side down.
- As chicken begins to brown after about 4 minutes, rotate chicken to ensure all sides cook evenly. This whole process should take about 8 minutes.
- When chicken is in the final minutes of cooking, add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan and tomatoes just to quickly soak up some flavor.
- Remove chicken from pan and top with pan drippings and tomatoes. Chop remaining basil and garnish chicken. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.