All about the SKRIIMMPP today on the blog. This easy app is crunchy, full of flavor and the Thai ginger dipping sauce just takes this classic coconut shrimp to a whole new level.
I have to say, as I have been testing this recipe I have a huge tip. You HAVE to pan fry these shrimp. HAVE TO. I have tried to bake them, I’ve seen other recipes try to alternate healthy options–this just isn’t the recipe for that.
I love to sub out healthier choices or use the oven in place of he fryer when I can, but there is just no replacing the crunch that the pan frying gives this shrimp. I just added a little oil to a pan, and in a few short minutes you will have yourself some crispy coconut shrimp.
This is appetizer has been a tried and true hit this holiday season!
Enjoy and eat your Hartt out.
- 16 large shrimp peeled with tail on
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup coconut unsweetened shavings
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1½ cup ginger beer
- 3 tablespoon Thai sweet red chili sauce
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting the back up to the tail. Do not cut all the way through, press to flatten out.
- Combine Garlic powder, cornstarch, salt and sugar in a bowl. Whip eggs until completely mixed in a separate bowl. In a flat dish mix together the breadcrumbs and coconut shavings.
- Start with cornstarch mixture, fully cover shrimp. Dip in egg wash and finally cover with breadcrumbs and coconut shavings.
- In a wok or cast iron skillet heat the oil on high just until it starts to smoke. Lower heat to med and in batches of 4 cook the shrimp for 2 mins spooning hot oil over the top.
- Place on plate with paper towel to drain.
- Bring ginger beer and sweet red chili sauce to boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 3 mins
- Serve warm alongside dipping sauce.